Recent Posts and Articles
Orchard offers the concept of a content item identity. In short it is just a combination of unique identifiers such as a randomly generated guid, or a pages alias. So we want to export this identity instead of the Id value stored in the database and convert the identity into an Id during the import.
We are now going to look at exposing our setting as a token so it can be used in workflows. Tokens are pieces of text within Orchard that can be dynamically substituted with a value.
We run live webcast events from Orchard and during the course of an event the homepage is changed depending on the status of the event. We wanted a little more flexibility with widgets and not requiring a separate page to manage the homepage. So I set about creating a slightly different solution to what we have now that we could use if needed.
- 00:00 - Recap on GitHub migration. Tasks left: close issues and PRs on CodePlex, complete forum import.
- 06:00 - Agenda.
- 07:05 - Status: A lot of PRs pulled in, bugfixes.
- 33:38 - Demo by Sipke: Search settings improvements, including the ability to select an index for Search Widget.
As a result of the huge problems that Codeplex has had in the last few weeks and the popularity GitHub has gained, Orchard CMS decided to move from Codeplex to GitHub. The decision was made a few weeks ago and was welcomed by the Orchard community. Yesterday, the actual migration from codeplex to GitHub took place.
- 00:00 - GitHub migration summary.
- 00:35 - Bertrand's making progress on the issue migration (there are ~5000 of them), but the API has limitations (throttling). There's a new API without those limitations, but the scripts used need to be modified to work with it. You can contact Bertrand if you'd like to help with this part of the work (see his fork on GitHub)!
- 04:35 - Sébastien pushed the source to a test repository under the OrchardCMS account.
- 06:15 - Add your CP-GH username mapping to this spreadsheet so your issues created on CP will be correctly linked to you after the migration to GH.
- 08:36 - Daniel suggests using the Wiki feature of GH to store/display the documentation, as it has syntax highlighting support, better rendering of MarkDown documents, including GH-flavour for MarkDown for richer text editing. You can check it out on the same test repository. Daniel is also investigating suitable forum providers, Discourse is a promising solution.
- 38:43 - Status: Sipke worked a lot on bugfixes for 1.9.
- 41:03 - Kees Damen's (Sipke's co-worker at the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport) suggestion is to change the CopyLocal property of the Orchard.Core and Orchard.Framework project references to false, which reduces the size of the build output dramatically.
- 45:22 - Nick will close the PRs on CP and ask the authors to create new ones on GH.
- 46:10 - Demo by Sipke about blending Layouts, Zones and Widgets: Layout containers can now define Zone names, that are dynamically added to the Widgets editor as "Layout Zones". A new property called "Collapsible" was added to Layout containers: if said container is empty, the next sibling element will take its space if this setting is enabled.
- 1:00:06 - Jorge's question: How to contribute to Orchard until the migration is complete? We should wait until it's done to make sure that there aren't conflicts or loss of data.
- 1:01:12 - Status on this year's Orchard Harvest: if organizing it is not feasible during the next 2 months, it will be postponed to the end of the summer.
- GitHub migration will be soon under way!
- Sébastien will move the source to a new repository on the OrchardCMS account.
- Work items will be exported from CP and imported to GH by Bertrand. Add your usernames to this spreadsheet so your CP issues will be mapped to your GH account after importing them.
- Forum will be created by Daniel, hosted by Discourse.
- Pages will be re-created by Bertrand.
- Discussion about Caching changes and improvements.
- Discussion about Layout editor and Dynamic Forms improvements. Dynamic Forms will deprecate Custom Forms.
- A little bit of bug triage.