Recent Posts and Articles
For a few versions now, Orchard has been treating media (images, videos, etc.) as content items. There is a special kind of field, MediaLibraryPickerField, that enables you to add images, or collections of images, to any content type
- Status: Alias lookup performance issue fixed, fixed a possible NRE during setup, fixed a possible OoME when using Shape Tracing, the command line tool now supports empty strings as parameters, ReliableSqlConnection removed (since auto-retry happens by default), Sipke and Nick are working continuously on their respective feature branches, TinyMCE updated to 4.1.5.
- Sébastien is working on the issue with DateTime-type CommonPart properties saved with different precision in infoset and records.
- Demo by Nick - Localization updates: huge clean-up and refactoring in the AdminController of Orchard.Localization (handling the localization of content items) and improved/added other features of this module.
- Demo by Sipke - Layouts - Element Blueprints: it adds the ability to create reusable content of any kind on different parts of your website.
- Abhishek, the most active contributor to the documentations has now write access to the documentation repository!
- Shaun is working on extension methods for the ContentDefinionManager to ease the creation of content fields.
- Status: not much happened during the week, due to an Azure hackathon in Microsoft. Owin branch is updated, Nick is working on the Localization branch, TinyMCE updated to 4.1.4 and all available plugins were added in a separate feature.
- Nick updated the Inline Editing module with some UI changes and TinyMCE support.
- A bit of live troubleshooting on Sébastien's machine to solve an issue where running 1.x fails with an YSOD after updating from the Owin branch with the help of Nick. Temporary ASP.NET files should be cleaned (x86 and x64 too).
- After a long time, we did bug triage on the regular meeting too!
Orchard uses dynamic objects called shapes as view models. It happens commonly that you’ll want to use strongly-typed HTML helpers such as Html.TextBoxFor from within a shape’s template. What if now, my model has some properties that are what I’m really interested in, and that are of a known strong type?
- Title of the meeting: "Sébastien rimmed widget layers".
- Status: feature branches are still under development and feedback/testing/bugfixing is welcome!
- Performance improvements: sessions management (background tasks work with smaller batches of content); the background task updating the indices now works as a job (JobsQueue) and processes all the items in one go (but divided into multiple transactions of 50 items); Navigation, Projection and Layer queries optimized for performance.
- Jay-Z and Kanye joined the meeting (in spirit) too.
- Discussion about using a translation API (e.g. Bing) for localizing content, but they are still unreliable for keeping the context for more than a few sentences.
- Discussion about a new Gallery: it should be a "directory" pointing to the repositories and it should create the NuGet packages for the modules/themes based on specific tags in their repositories. It should also have a feature for displaying user-driven compatibility information for modules/themes with specific Orchard versions (and maybe with other modules/themes too).
- Discussion about Orchard's future and ASP.NET vNext: Orchard will support the Desktop-CLR, not the Cloud-optimized one, since some of Orchard's dependencies (Lucene, AutoFac, NHibernate) need it and the Cloud-CLR is only a subset of the Desktop-CLR, so e.g. System.Drawing would not be available. The ASP.NET vNext version of Orchard would be Orchard 2.0, but we can have 1.9 or even 1.10, etc. before that too.
- N. Taylor Mullen will join us next week to talk about the effects of ASP.NET vNext on Orchard and the new Razor engine. Check out his presentation from this year's Orchard Harvest.
- Document DB for Orchard 2.0? The problem is that it only works on Azure, so you couldn't set up a development environment locally.
- Would you like to see the Orchard documentation in your native language? Actually Antoine already solved this problem (see the French translation): just fork the Documentation project. It contains an ASP.NET Web Pages application, which you can just deploy to after you translated the documentation (which are stored in the form of MarkDown files in the Documentation folder).
- "See you on Thursday for a happy triage meeting!"
- We did almost an hour long bug triage and it's showing good progress: we reached January of 2014!
- May the do-loop be with you!
- Status: shortcut extension methods for reading and writing files through IStorageProvider added by Lombiq, feature branches (Layouts by Sipke and Localization by Nick) are updated with new features, project Web.config files updated for each module for Razor IntelliSense to work, "Securable" Content Type metadata for adding type-level permissions when editing Roles and "Securable content items" Content Type metadata for adding content item-level permissions when editing Roles added by Sébastien. Stanley's PR fixing that titles with only special characters were generating empty slugs (and overriding the home page) was pulled in. MediaLibrary folder contents are loaded on-demand, increasing performance for huge amount of media items (also a PR by Stanley).
- NHibernate is updated to 4.0. It's a new major version with a lot of bugfixes and it's built upon .NET 4.0.
- Demo by Nick - Localization updates: the Localization feature branch was updated to support transliteration settings. This enables the generation of slugs with Latin characters from titles that contain non-Latin characters. When creating localizable content items, you can now select a culture (instead of it being the site culture automatically). When selecting a RTL culture, the editors will immediately switch to RTL editing mode. A culture selector is displayed on the content listing page if you have more than one culture.
- Demo by Piotr and Marek - PowerShell console in the Dashboard: a virtual file system based on Orchard, where you can use the tools provided by PS to manage your Orchard site, like browsing and editing settings and features, running commands and use PS commandlets. It's possible to use it to manage your server from inside Orchard. The PowerShell.exe was basically re-implemented to fit into Orchard and runs inside Orchard's app domain.
- Demo by Sipke - Dynamic Forms: based on the Layouts module and enhancing the Custom Forms module, you can now create Forms with a dynamic layout and a huge range of customization options. Input validation is a feature to be added soon.