Recent Posts and Articles
Orchard layouts are great, and they’re extensible. In this series of posts, I’ll show how to write your own layout elements. Custom elements are a great way to encapsulate and re-use common bits of layout. Instead of having to build everything from grids, rows, cells, text and media, you can build your layouts from higher-level semantic constructs that make sense for your particular site
Enumeration fields are not exactly relationships, but they implement a very similar scenario. Therefore, it's useful to know about them, so that you can use them when they are relevant.
- 00:00 - Agenda.
- 02:23 - Status. Changes and bugfixes. Redis cache content compression. Sébastien is re-implementing cache features he already implemented, so Daniel suggested a cache feature for cache features, so we don't forget about them. 2 new branches are currently under development by Sébastien: tenantcommands and asynccache. Asynccache is az Owin middleware for serving Output Cache, which is a shortcut for the MVC pipeline to (at least) double the performance. Sipke is working on fixing that adding a dependency to a feature should automatically enable the dependency.
- 26:06 - Demo by Russell Rice: UI instructions on DynamicForms using jQuery.
- 38:34 - Demo by Lombiq: Git-Hg Mirror. A service for one-way or bi-directional synchronization between Git and Hg repositories. Some mirror repositories you may be interested in: Orchard Hg, NGM.Forum Hg, Orchard Application Host Git.
- 46:52 - Demo by Andrew Orlov: VirtoCommerce Webshop. Demo to be continued next week.
- 51:50 - Convention to follow: String.Empty vs. string foo.
- 52:42 - Harvest (and website) updates. The EventBrite event is up.
- 00:00 - Agenda.
- 02:33 - Status.
- 03:41 - Sébastien fixed a rather complex issue with the SessionLocator: concurrent sessions were created in certain scenarios in background requests. The fix was to wrap SessionLocator into TransactionManager and it will improve memory consumption and prevent DB locks. All the unit tests using SessionLocator were adapted to this change.
- 09:11 - Besides blogs.asp.net, blogs.iis.net now also runs on Orchard and they are using Redis cache. Sébastien fixed an issue where each tenant was communicating through a separate connection to Redis, instead of using an instance-wide one. Daniel blogged about a similar issue with ICacheManager a few months ago.
- 19:02 - Status continued.
- 25:52 - There's only bug left to fix to release 1.9.2.
- 28:30 - Demo by Daniel - automatic TS and LESS compilation and minification/bundling using Gulp. Gulp and all of its dependencies are now solution-wide, instead of having it contained separately in all the modules using it. These additions do not disrupt automated build/deployment processes, as the additional files are not in Orchard.Web. Usage of Gulp is completely opt-in.
- 43:05 - Demo by Daniel - recipe (and setup from recipe) execution improvements. "Recipes" is now a separate Recipe step to execute other recipes under the same step execution ID, which means that the output will not be separated.
- 59:40 - Demo by Paul (Bede Gaming): heavily customized, reskinned and customized Dashboard for Orchard.
- 55:08 - Demo by Mahsa (IDeliverable): importing and exporting Aliases. Aliases are separated into two groups: Managed (completely controlled by a feature, like Autoroute) an Unmanaged (user-defined).
- 00:00 - Status: bugfixes.
- 17:08 - Demo by Sébastien: Tenant commands.
- 28:45 - Harvest updates: website is work-in-progress. Location: Hotel Melia (Alicante, Spain). Date 5-6th (Mon-Tue) of October. Discussing the possibility to emphasize contributing members of the community.
- 50:10 - Orchard 1.9.2 to be prepared soon.
- 00:00 - Agenda.
- 00:35 - Status. Jasmin started to work on the new Bootstrap-based Admin theme in the "admin-bootstrap" branch.
- 05:28 - Demo by Sébastien (and then continuing "Status"): setting up an Orchard instance on Azure with Kudu deployment.
- 23:36 - The Orchard CMS repository is now connected with .Net Foundation in a way that PRs are assigned a tag regarding the necessity of signing CLA (Contributors' Licence Agreement): "cla-required", "cla-not-required", "cla-signed".
- 26:28 - Demo by Lombiq: the Helpful Extensions module is now extended with a code generation feature to grab the migration code for a content type from its editor, including content part settings.
- 31:42 - Demo by Sipke: Import-Export improvements. The import and export process is now broken down into separate, provider-based steps with separate UI elements to provide their settings. It also supports to load a configuration file that will apply settings for exporting (saving the current configuration is not yet implemented).
- 50:05 - Demo by Sipke: content editing UI with tabs.
- 1:00:00 - Demo by Sipke: home page setting improvement: the home is still set using a checkbox on the AutoroutePart, but it's now a site setting instead of assigning an empty slug to the content item.
- 1:06:35 - Specflow tests are broken, reason yet unknown, could be due to .NET Framework changes.
- 1:07:15 - Harvest pushed to the 5th and 6th of October (venue is the same).
Sorry, but due to technical problems with Skype for Business, we don't have a usable recording of this meeting.
- Sébastien demonstrates the usage of tag helpers (MVC 6 feature) for creating custom tags (and overriding existing ones).
- Demo by Daniel: Layout editor now has a popup window with tips and shortcuts. Recipe "ImportResult" page displays individual recipe steps and their results so it's easier to locate errors in a recipe. Recipe-related errors are logged into a separate log file (with INFO level). MultiTenancy now supports a feature to reset a tenant (and delete its tables) to be able to install it again.
- A blogpost about deploying Orchard from GitHub to Azure. Discussion about adding a custom build configuration script so that Orchard can be deployed this way out of the box.
- 00:00 - Status.
- 14:44 - Demo by Siyamand: Orchard.Reporting module. It allows you to create pie charts (with data aggregation and grouping) based on Query (the same content type that we use for Projections) results. The Ticketing module now has an activity stream too. There's an open issue about adding aggregation features to the Query editor itself. Bertrand implemented something similar in Nwazet.Commerce.
- 28:24 - Discussion about merging the Deployment feature branch into dev.