Recent Posts and Articles
I stayed awake way too late last night having fun extending the Workflow Module in the upcoming Orchard CMS 1.7. Just like I have done several times similar with the Orchard Rules Engine, I wanted to create my own custom Workflow Activity that displayed in the toolbox and could be dragged onto the workflow surface. Given this was my first custom workflow activity I wanted something fairly simple, but useful. After a few minutes of thought, I decided to create an activity that started a workflow when a user logged into Orchard - a Login Activity!
Orchard CMS 1.7 is hopefully due out next week and I have been blogging numerous Orchard Tutorials on what to expect in Orchard 1.7. One of the new features in Orchard 1.7 you may find useful as an Orchard Developer is the ability to run Orchard Recipes from the Orchard Administrator Dashboard. Normally Orchard Recipes were only available as part of the intial Orchard installation, but now you can access and execute Orchard Recipes from within the dashboard!
Notes on the Shapes session...
- Sébastien is working on editing the Harvest videos and is fixing bugs.
- Sébastien implemented the migration steps from 1.6 to 1.7 and integrated them with older upgrade implementations (Navigation, Taxonomies, Media, Content Picker, Fields, Routes).
- 1.7 release: most probably next week.
- Triaged every (19) proposed issue.
- Sébastien showed CPU usage graphs on Azure, they are surprisingly low, which means that Orchard performs well even in shared hosting environments.
- New websites: http://rembitteh.ru/ (Russian), http://bianchi-intl.com/, http://eleks.com/, http://ene.com/.
- Governance page draft published, please provide feedback to Bertrand.
- What do people want for 1.8? content deployment & changesets, inline editing, markdown changes, dynamic layout, WebAPI improvements, Markdown improvements, platform updates Ajax projections, module updates through DVCS, gallery reboot, Git, Powershell.
- Some discussion about why 1.7 isn't .NET 4.5 only like we decided and voted. Will take offline with Sébastien.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
- Sébastien is working on the encoding and editing of the Harvest session videos.
- Pictures taken during Harvest are aggregated here and are open for view to anyone (editor's note: contact Benedek Farkas if you'd like to upload your pictures).
- Please fill in the after-event survey for future improvements.
- Many thanks to Ylan for organizing such a great event again.
- Zoltán: Associativy Internal Link Graph Builder: collects internal links from content text and builds an Associativy graph with them. See it in action at Orchard Dojo.
- Marek from Proligence: Powershell for Orchard. If we take this into core, we should ditch the current CLI. What about Mono? There is Pash, but it has serious IP issues (i.e. it's an illegal decompilation of the real Powershell).
- New websites: http://www.webadvanced.com, http://rembitteh.ru, http://binary21.com, http://wintellect.com, http://inkdup.com, http://flipswitch.com.
- Ylan mentioned http://translatewiki.net as a way to get translations crowd-sourced. Problem may be missing context and integration with existing translation tool. Benedek may try it on one file to test the waters.
- Triage: 36 incoming. We'll bulk-move the 289 remaining 1.7 bugs to 1.7.1 or 1.7.2.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
Second half of the second day - close to the end of this year's Harvest. Let's see what we've got!
Our second day started with Sebastien's keynote (or rather, stand-up show) about the latest additions to Orchard (what will be part of the upcoming 1.7 release), demoing, among others, the new killer Workflows and Media Library module as well as smaller but nevertheless important additions and fixes. BTW although 1.7 is not yet here, you can well test out the latest source from the 1.x branch and play with it, provide early feedback. The source is quite stable and usable in production (make sure though that there's no existing new bug that is blocking for you).